Friday, April 1, 2011

Dear Cabrillo Secular Student Alliance,

Upcoming events:

-------------------------
Event 1

Meeting: April 11, 2011, 4-6 PM -- NOT in SAC East, Room 226 BUT in SAC West, Room 202

Agenda: Approve minutes from last meeting (1 minute)

Kevin Browning, our new volunteer secretary, will send these to me soon, I hope! Kevin, it would be great if you could put these in a comment on our public group Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_104029396341504

and/or put them in this new blog created by faculty adviser Dennis Etler.

Open forum discussion for ideas about President Obama's Interfaith and Community Challenge to colleges/universities. (10 minutes)

Watch Bill Maher's Religulous (until about 6 PM)

I'll bring my popcorn air-popper, some serving bowls, popcorn, crockpot, butter to melt, salt. I suggest everyone BYO non-alcoholic cold beverage, preferably in glass or aluminum or reusable containers. If someone could remember to bring napkins, that would be great.

If people want to hang around for just a bit after the movie, we can discuss it.

-------------------------
Event 2

Social Justice Conference at Cabrillo, April 29-30--FREE!

http://www.cabrillo.edu/~anajarro/socialjusticeconf/socialjustice.html

April 29, 6 PM-9 PM, Watsonville campus
6 PM is check-in/registration with a food reception
7-9 PM: Movie: The Freedom Writers

April 30 (Sat), 9 AM-3 PM, Aptos campus
Check the web site above for specifics, but please plan to attend:

Ted Cox: What I Learned at Straight Camp
12:15-1:30 PM, 450 Forum

I've registered the Cabrillo SSA for the conference, and I will start getting info from the national SSA to put out on a table to inform people about our group. I'm not sure, but I think we can table in Watsonville. I know for sure we can in Aptos.

Ted Cox is appearing in the conference upon my recommendation of him as a guest speaker for this event. I heard him speak at UCSC last November, when he was a guest speaker of the UCSC SSA. He was terrific! I would like to take Ted and his girlfriend out to dinner on April 29, somewhere in Capitola or Aptos. Do any of you have suggestions of a place that would be representative of our area but not terribly expensive? This will mean that I'm opting out of the movie Freedom Writers on the evening of April 29, the first event of the conference in Watsonville. I don't want to make you choose between the two possibilities, so if you're interested in the movie and going out to dinner with Ted Cox, maybe plan to rent the movie and watch it now!

Sonya

No comments:

Post a Comment